All the Herpes Facts at a Glance
Table of Contents
Herpes Facts Sheet
- Even though herpes is caused by a virus, it is nothing more than a very common skin disorder, and therefore does not deserve the shame or stigma attached to it.
- A shocking herpes fact is that up to 90% of the world’s population have one form of herpes simplex or another.
- Genital HSV-2 infection is more common in women (approximately one out of five women 14 to 49 years of age) than in men (about one out of nine men 14 to 49 years of age).
- Transmission from an infected male to his female partner is more likely than from an infected female to her male partner.
- Approximately 80% of people living with herpes don’t know they have the disease because they are either asymptomatic (symptom free) or their symptoms are mild enough to go unnoticed.
- Another disturbing herpes fact: A large percentage of the known genital herpes victims caught it from someone who never knew they had the disease.
- Although herpes blisters and herpes sores can be painful and persistent, the emotional impact of a positive diagnosis can be far more debilitating.
- Herpes is not life threatening, and yet a number of victims have been known to develop psychological problems and on rare occasions, even attempt suicide.
- There are two types of herpes simplex virus:
- Herpes simplex 1 (HSV1) – lesions usually appear above the belt and are called "cold sores".
- Herpes simplex 2 (HSV2) – lesions usually appear below the belt and known as ‘Genital Herpes’ or 'Anal Herpes'.
- Neither virus is site specific. Oral herpes can be transferred to a partner’s genitals via oral sex, and genital herpes can infect the face, mouth and hands (herpetic whitlow), via genital contact.
- An estimated 50% of genital herpes is caused by receiving oral sex from a partner with cold sores or fever blisters.
- Suppressive daily treatment can reduce both the severity and the frequency of outbreaks. Medication can also lower the risk of passing the virus on to another person.
- A natural remedy developed by an Australian biochemist, known as Dynamiclear is an effective homeopathic treatment for both oral and genital herpes.
- Genital herpes symptoms vary; they can be mild or severe, ranging from painful sores or blisters to a mild rash that is hardly noticeable.
- The HSV1 virus lives in the facial nerve junction (ganglia) located near the ear and can effect the nose, eyelids, cheeks, tongue and lips.
- The HSV2 virus lives in the nerve junction (ganglia) located in the lower back, and can affect the genitals, anus thighs and buttocks.
- The virus can be transferred even when there are no visible symptoms via a process known as "viral shedding".
- Use of a physical barrier, such as a latex condom and/or a dental dam, will lower the risk of infection when the virus is active, by approximately 50%.
- Genital herpes does not cause cervical cancer.
Did This Information Help?
We offer free advice
We don’t clutter our pages with advertising
Please help us stay alive by making a small donation
Need to speak with someone right away?
American Social Health Association Hotline: 919-361-8400 (9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday). Or go directly to the ASHA website.
Back to the top
Back to Home Remedy Site home page, from All the Herpes Facts